Monday, November 21, 2011

Breaking Dawn and the Mom Translator

I saw the new Twilight movie with some sisters this weekend, along with every 12-18 year old girl in America it seems.  But I didn't see it until Sunday, which means the theater was full of older women and tweens seeing it for the second (or third) time.

Let me go on the record right now and say that I am an unashamed fan of the Twilight Series.  Sure they're silly, sappy, a little strange, and sub-par writing.  I don't claim they should be added to the annals of great literature.  But sometimes it's nice to read something that is purely silly and sappy.  I read them when we lived in Kabul, covered in reality and dust.  Those books were a great escape.  And it's fun to revisit the story with friends who enjoyed them too.

It's also very fun to see a movie like that with the right demographic.  As a student told my brother-in-law (a high school math teacher), "This movie is WAY better than the last one.  In the last one Jacob doesn't take his shirt off until like the 20th minute.  In this one, he takes his shirt off in the first 15 seconds."  Oh teenagers.  And she was right, and it made the whole theater giggle.  And there were giggles at kisses, and sappy lines, and romantic rendezvous.

I'll admit our aisle did most of our giggling in response to the chatter of the tween crowd, and maybe some eye rolling too.  Kids these days.  I just don't get them.  I think I'm getting old.  It doesn't help that I always call Robert Pattinson, Roger Patterson (and I definitely just googled both those names to see which one was correct).  I'm on my way to needing one of these:



But, seriously, I feel like half my life is nursery rhyme and the other half is nursing home.  I love that having little kids gives me an excuse to eat dinner at 5:00 and be in my pjs by 7:30.  And I'm not even 30 yet!  It makes me so thankful for my husband who acts less his age and more my age (or younger).

So, here's to enjoying silly movies that make us giggle and feel a little young at heart!

No comments: